Wednesday, November 9, 2011

On Caterpillars and Picasso

So I have a 2-year-old, and I stay at home with him.

Today at library story time the kids were making a craft, a caterpillar glued together out of cup-out circles (today's featured story time book was Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar. It's a great book until you have to read it approximately 6,784 times in one week). One mom told her toddler, "No! Not like that! That's not how caterpillars look!" I hope she didn't look at my kid's caterpillar, which looked like it had been hatched near a nuclear plant. I just kept thinking, "Pablo, don't paint like that! That's not how people look!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is, ignore the haters. You can do whatever you want in your art, whether it's writing or music or painting people made of squares or making freakish construction-paper caterpillars. You have an imagination. USE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment