Monday, October 3, 2011

Shut Your Pie Hole and Hit 'Send' Already

There is one thing that really, really annoys me about other writers. I mean, there are a few things, but this is the one that really drives me nuts:

Those people who say, "I want to be published but I'm afraid to submit because I might get rejected."

They might say no! Oh, the humanity!

It's not like evil gnomes will come to your house on the heels of that rejection letter and murder you in your bed (and then use your blood to dye their pointy hats...no, that's a real myth, look up 'red caps').

If you're lucky they'll give you some constructive criticism (or is that going to wound your fragile psyche as well?), but most of the time they'll just say 'no thanks'. It doesn't mean you suck. I mean, you may suck, I don't know, but sometimes your story just isn't a good fit or the editor was in a pissy mood. It happens.

Sure, it stings the first couple times. You can either get back on the damn horse or collapse into a fetal position in the corner. Your choice. But if you choose the second one, you're a total pussy. I've been doing this so long I have skin like a fucking rhinoceros. Nothing gets to me anymore. I even make market lists for each new piece, "I'll send it here first, and if they reject it I'll send it here, and if they reject it I'll send it here..." There's no down time between the 'no' and the next place.

If you just want to write as a hobby and have no intention of publishing, good for you. But don't come crying to me about how scared you are to reach for your dream. Wah, wah, wah. You'll get no sympathy here.

In the words of someone wiser than I, "Do or do not. There is no try." And if you don't do, then you'll never have even a chance of being published. So quit being an oversensitive whiner and hit that 'send' button.

No comments:

Post a Comment